Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rich in flavor a take over on Thanks Giving
Make and share this Butter Rum Walnut Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups peeled cored sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- In a large (large enough to hold apples) heavy sauce pan melt 1/4 cup butter and brown sugar.
- Stir rum and nutmeg into brown sugar mixture.
- Add sliced apples toss to coat; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, til apples are tender; toss with 2 tbl flour; cool slightly then pour into unbaked pie shell.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour and sugar.
- Cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly, add walnuts and sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
I made your delicious apple pie for Thanksgiving. The butter-rum gave it the most amazing flavor. I made serveral different pies and this was one of the most popular. Very easy and good to the last bite. Sinfully rich. Thanks LDJ
It might have been the apples I used, but this wasn't sweet enough and was quite watery despite having baked an extra 10 minutes. Followed recipe quite closely. Only deviation was rather than 1/2 C sugar for topping, I used Truvia (1/4 C). 10 minutes of extra baking might not have been enough (and yes, I've tested my oven).<br/><br/>Rum flavor wasn't that pronounced (also didn't notice the nutmeg as much as I'd like and would suggest adding in cinnamon next time) and if I made this again I would use dark rum and more of it! or extract to get the flavor without all the moisture.
very rich and delicious.... I served it with plain yoghurt and ginger wine - YUM!