Recipe by alligirl
Taken from the Hawaiian electric company website and posted for ZWT. Wish I'd thought of this; sounds fabulous! Overnight marinade time for the pineapple rings IS NOT included in cook/prep time!
Top Review by HisPixie
This was awesome! One of my triplet daughters requested pineapple upside down cake for their birthday celebration and this is the recipe I used. I used dark rum instead of spiced rum and it was perfect! This will be my recipe for pineapple upside down cake from now on!
- 6 pineapple rings, reserve juice (fresh or canned)
- 118.29 ml spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)
- 113.39 g butter
- 236.59 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml chopped macadamia nuts
- 59.14 ml reserved pineapple juice (can include some of the rum that was used to soak the pineapple)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml all-purpose white flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 6 maraschino cherries, halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate pineapple rings in rum overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a large iron skillet (at least 12”), or other heavy, oven-proof pan.
- Arrange the marinated pineapple rings in the bottom of the pan in a single layer and simmer slowly over low heat in the melted butter and sugar until the cake batter is ready to go into the pan.
- Mix the granulated sugar, reserved pineapple juice and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Beat egg whites until peaks form.
- Quickly mix flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture until well blended. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Place one cherry half upside down in the middle of each pineapple ring. Sprinkle chopped macadamia nuts evenly over the rings, gently spoon the batter over the pineapple rings and macadamia nuts.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until it is just warm to the touch, then invert over a large plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.