1/2 Photos of Butter Rum Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Taken from the Hawaiian electric company website and posted for ZWT. Wish I'd thought of this; sounds fabulous! Overnight marinade time for the pineapple rings IS NOT included in cook/prep time!
My Private Note
big sli ...
Units: US | Metric
- 6 pineapple rings, reserve juice (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice (can include some of the rum that was used to soak the pineapple)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 maraschino cherries, halves (optional)
- 1Marinate pineapple rings in rum overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Melt the butter and brown sugar in a large iron skillet (at least 12”), or other heavy, oven-proof pan.
- 4Arrange the marinated pineapple rings in the bottom of the pan in a single layer and simmer slowly over low heat in the melted butter and sugar until the cake batter is ready to go into the pan.
- 5Mix the granulated sugar, reserved pineapple juice and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- 6Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- 7Beat egg whites until peaks form.
- 8Quickly mix flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture until well blended. Gently fold in egg whites.
- 9Place one cherry half upside down in the middle of each pineapple ring. Sprinkle chopped macadamia nuts evenly over the rings, gently spoon the batter over the pineapple rings and macadamia nuts.
- 10Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 11Let the cake cool until it is just warm to the touch, then invert over a large plate.
- 12Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Rum Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.8
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 100.2 mg
- Sodium 255.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 59.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g