Redneck Epicurean's Note:
Pop loves cake. Mom and I are not all that crazy about it, but we love icing. It works out well. We eat the icing, he eats the cake. I won't give up a crumb of this one, though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and flour 2 8-inch square cake pans.
- 2In a pot over medium heat, cook 1/2 cup of butter until golden brown; cool. On an ungreased baking sheet, bake the pecans until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. On the same baking sheet, bake 1 cup of coconut, stirring until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a board with the pecans. When cool enough to handle, chop pecans and coconut.
- 3In a large bowl with a mixer, beat the cake mix, 1 cup of water, browned butter, eggs, and 1/3 cup rum until just blended. Increase to medium and beat 2 minutes. Stir in toasted coconut and pecans.
- 4Divide the batter between the two pans. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- 5For frosting, in bowl with mixer at medium speed, Beat remaining butter until smooth. Beat in frosting, one can at a time, until mixture is fluffy. Beat in remaining 2 tablespoons rum.
- 6To assemble, cut each cake layer in half horizontally. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with about 2/3 cup. Repeat with remaining layers and frosting. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Press unbaked coconut into frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Rum Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.7
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.7 mg
- Sodium 222.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 2.2 g