Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderfull camp recipe using your Dutch Oven!
- 8 golden delicious apples, with stems
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices fresh lemon zest (2 by 1/2-inch)
- 8 whole cloves
- Preheat dutch oven to 450°F (hot).
- Cut off top third of each apple and reserve.
- Scoop out seeds and some of flesh from apples using a melon-ball cutter or round teaspoon measure to form a cavity (do not puncture bottoms).
- Stand apples in dutch oven tightly.
- Heat remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour some of syrup into cavity of each apple and remainder into dutch oven.
- Return apple tops to apples and cover oven.
- Bake in oven until apples are tender, 25 to 30 minutes (place the majority of coals on the oven lid).
- Makes 8 servings.
Nice, easy fall desert recipe. Added raisins to mine. The apple skins make it look pretty, but were a pain once it was cooked. I basically pulled them away and ate the insides which was great with vanilla ice cream.