Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I always enjoy a good squash recipe. This is a good one!
- 1 (1 1/4 lb) acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish.
- Cut tops and bottoms off squash.
- Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Cut squash crosswise into 1/2" thick rings.
- Arrange in prepared dish, overlapping slightly if neccessary.
- Mix sugar and spices in small bowl.
- Sprinkle over squash.
- Drizzle with butter and rum.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn squash over, cover and bake an addtional 15 minutes, or until squash is very tender.
We ate this until we bursting, then when I was cleaning the table, I took a couple more bites!! It is an excellent acorn squash recipe. I added just a dash of dried cloves to the spice mix. I baked this covered until the final 15 minutes, then I uncovered it and let it crisp up a little. I recommend this recipe to all who love squash, I will also try it with butternut.
I've finally found a squash recipe that my kids will eat! All the flavors compliment each other very well in this recipe. I used a different type of winter squash (not sure of the name of it...it came from our CSA) rather than acorn squash. Like some of the other reviewers, I left it uncovered for the last 15 minutes. Additionally, I tossed on a handful of unsalted walnuts for those last 15 minutes. That was just enough time for them to toast in the oven and to get slightly glazed with the sugar mixture - yum! Thanks, Bev!
Another delicious squash recipe - the spice mix was perfect with the rum & butter! Other than using light amber rum & leaving uncovered in the last 15 minutes, I followed the recipe exactly. Thanx Bev!