Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this recipe from a daily recipes email from gopher central - very buttery, but nothing fancy, still a nice compliment to Thanksgiving dinner. Prep time does not include overnight in frig and rise time.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (I used more)
- Melt and cool shortening and milk.
- Dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the warm water.
- Beat the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt together.
- Combine milk mixture, yeast mixture, and egg mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to wet mixture.
- Stir until combined then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough into fourths and roll out on floured surface.
- Spread top surface of rolled out dough with soft butter.
- Cut into triangles (pie piece shaped) and roll up from larger to smaller end.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet and allow rolls to rise for about 3 hours.
- Bake rolls in preheated 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes or until the tops are slightly brown.