Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
My wife and I made this recipe up to use stuff in our pantry. Everyone loved it.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (no pudding)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 cup pecan halves (subsequently ground in food processor)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 -15 pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Line two 8" cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Mix cake mix with eggs, water, pudding mix and applesauce. Fold in ground pecans and chopped pecans. Pour evenly into pans. Bake according to package mix directions till toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Mix butter and vanilla. Add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time and mix in completely. Add pinch of salt and rum to desired consistency.
- Frost cake. Press chopped pecans into sides of cake and garnish top with pecan halves.