Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sweet, buttery ice cream with plenty of pecans. This is a combination of a few recipes I've found. Enjoy! Note: Prep time does not include cooling or freezing time.
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add pecans and cook until butter froths and pecans become fragrant. Stir constantly and be sure to watch that they don't burn. Should be about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove pecans to another bowl and set aside. Remove pan with remaining butter from heat and set aside to cool.
- Put cream and milk in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium low heat and cook, stirring often, until it reaches a slow simmer.
- While cream mixture is cooking, whisk eggs in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes. Add sugar slowly and whisk for another 1 minute.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding a fourth of the simmering cream, whisking constantly. Add the remaining cream in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Return entire mixture to sauce pan and cook over medium low heat, stirring often, until it reaches a temperature of 170 degrees. Turn off burner and add the vanilla and reserved butter. Stir or whisk well.
- Put mixture in a shallow bowl, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, put in fridge for an hour or two.
- Pour mixture into the container of ice cream maker and freeze according to maker's directions.
- After about 10 minutes in the ice cream maker, when ice cream is starting to firm up, add the pecans. Continue freezing to desired consistency.