Recipe by hcopeland
Someone bought me a Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book (title). This book is great it tells how to make most of their flavors and some. The book can be ordered at the bookstore for about $8.95. The reason I like this ice cream is because you can freeze it and it is like the store bought hard ice cream. I do not eat it right from the freezer because to me it is too creamy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over a low heat. Add the pecans and salt and sauté, stirring constantly, until pecans start to turn brown.
- Drain the butter into a small bowl and transfer the pecans to another bowl and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Add the melted butter and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the pecans, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
- Makes generous 1 quart.
- Sweet Cream Bases----:.
- •Favorite Sweet Cream Base: Most popular base, has creamy texture, medium body, and a subtle, understated taste. It's especially good as a background for fruit, cookies, and candy.
- 2 large eggs 3/4 cup sugar 2 cups heavy or whipping cream 1 cup milk Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- •Simple Sweet Cream Base: This simple recipe is made with a minimum of ingredients and requires no cooking.
- It makes a very creamy ice cream with 25% butterfat, but it does not store well in home freezers, so be prepared to eat it all.
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream 3/4 cup sugar 2/3 cup half-and-half Pour the cream into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the half-and-half and whisk to blend.
- •Condensed Milk Sweet Cream Base: This recipe makes a less creamy, less rich ice cream.
- Ben likes the slightly "cooked" flavor of the sweetened condensed milk.
- 2 cups light cream 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, cold Whisk the light cream and the sweetened condensed milk together in a mixing bowl until blended.