Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Someone bought me a Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book (title). This book is great it tells how to make most of their flavors and some. The book can be ordered at the bookstore for about $8.95. The reason I like this ice cream is because you can freeze it and it is like the store bought hard ice cream. I do not eat it right from the freezer because to me it is too creamy.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over a low heat. Add the pecans and salt and sauté, stirring constantly, until pecans start to turn brown.
- Drain the butter into a small bowl and transfer the pecans to another bowl and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Add the melted butter and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the pecans, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
- Makes generous 1 quart.
- Sweet Cream Bases----:.
- •Favorite Sweet Cream Base: Most popular base, has creamy texture, medium body, and a subtle, understated taste. It's especially good as a background for fruit, cookies, and candy.
- 2 large eggs 3/4 cup sugar 2 cups heavy or whipping cream 1 cup milk Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- •Simple Sweet Cream Base: This simple recipe is made with a minimum of ingredients and requires no cooking.
- It makes a very creamy ice cream with 25% butterfat, but it does not store well in home freezers, so be prepared to eat it all.
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream 3/4 cup sugar 2/3 cup half-and-half Pour the cream into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the half-and-half and whisk to blend.
- •Condensed Milk Sweet Cream Base: This recipe makes a less creamy, less rich ice cream.
- Ben likes the slightly "cooked" flavor of the sweetened condensed milk.
- 2 cups light cream 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, cold Whisk the light cream and the sweetened condensed milk together in a mixing bowl until blended.
Have not yet tried it, but it sounds delicious, with the ingredients that it has. WIll have to try it.
I thought I could overcome the "chunks-o-butter" problem mentioned in another review by using my trusty stir stick (hand blender,) but I still had verrry tinnny butter lumps. I doubled the recipe and would use less salt whenI saute the nuts in butter. But for now, Dad says no more $20.00 ice cream.
I followed this recipe exactly to step number 7 and got a WONDERFUL Butter Pecan Icecream! I LOVED it! I did make one silly mistake though, I didn't check the temperature of the cooled butter, and the egg mixture, before mixing the two together. My egg mixture was of all the refrigerated ingredients, and the cooled butter of room temperature, which after mixing, left lumps of butter in the batter which wouldn't go away! We still ate the icecream taking out any buttery lumps we could find! Anyone Loving Butter Pecan Icecream HAS to try this wonderful icecream!!