Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Better than store bought!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lighlty beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine first 3 ingredients in top of a double boler over simmering water. Cook until sugar dissolves. Stir about one fourth of hot mixture into beaten eggs; add to remaining hot mixture.
- Cook over hot, not boiling, water until mixture is thickened and reaches 160F, stirring constantly. Stir in butter; remove from heat, and cool. Stir milk and vanilla into egg mixture.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with mixer until soft peaks form; fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a hand turned or electric ice cream freezer. Freeze according to maufacturer instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour before serving.