Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
originally from "Best of Country Cookies"
- 1 3⁄4 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Place chopped pecans and 1 tablespoon butter in a baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 5-7 min. or until toasted and browned, stirring frequently.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, c ream brown sugar and 1 cup butter.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Roll into 1" balls, then roll in toasted pecans, pressing nuts into dough.
- Place 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Beat egg white until foamy.
- Dip pecan halves in egg white, then gently press one into each ball.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 min. or until golden brown.
- Cool for 2 min. before removing to wire racks.
- NOTES : * As a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
This has been a part of my cookie tray for years and it always receives rave reviews. Toasting the pecans really makes the difference! Thanks for posing it here Nancy!