1/3 Photos of Butter Pecan Biscotti
1 hr 5 mins
The holidays are here and I was looking for a cookie selection to use a bag of butterscotch baking chips and at the same looking for a biscotti recipe. Decided to join the two ideas and then couldn't find a recipe, so I decided to make my own. Personally, I like to keep the nuts in my biscotti fairly large because I like the way they look when you slice the logs. Chopped works just as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- parchment paper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup loosely chopped pecans (See note below)
- 2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- 2Beat butter and sugars at high speed until blended. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until the sugar grains are dissolved and the batter forms ribbons when falling off the beaters.
- 3Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients until smooth, stiff and a little sticky. Using a wooden spoon, mix in 1 cup butterscotch chips and 1 cup pecans. (Note: if you have a very sharp knife that will cleanly cut through the nuts without breaking the cookie, then you can leave the nuts as large as you like. Otherwise, consider chopping the pecans into smaller pieces.).
- 4Divide dough into fourths. Take each quarter and shape into logs about 8 inches long. Smooth the dough so that the logs have a uniform thickness from top to bottom, square off the tips of the logs as well. Place onto the parchment paper two inches apart flatten the tops slightly. (Note: this yield a nice 2-3 inch cookie suited for holiday trays and smaller bites. If you prefer a larger dunking biscotti, create just 2 or 3 logs and adjust cooking time accordingly.)
- 5Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until logs are set and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove biscotti from the oven and let cool on cookie sheet(s) 15 minutes. Transfer to cutting board.
- 6Using serrated knife or a very sharp chefs knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch wide slices. A slight sawing motion may help with the cutting here. Place slices close together, cut side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes. Turn each slice; bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
- 7Melt remaining butterscotch chips with shortening in a double boiler or in a microwave. Drizzle over each cookie.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Pecan Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (18 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.0 g