Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A German butter cake with southern gooey goodness. Adapted from Alison Ladman with The Associated Press.
For the cake
- 2 medium fresh pears, peeled, cored and diced (or 1 1/2 cups diced canned pears, patted dry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
For the topping
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar
- toasted sliced almonds
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, toss the pear with the cardamom, then set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the milk, yeast, sugar, salt, egg and flour. Mix on medium until a smooth dough has formed. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and mix until fully incorporated. Repeat with the remaining butter. This should take 6 to 8 minutes.
- Scrape the dough into the prepared baking dish and, using greased hands, spread over the bottom of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F Sprinkle the pears over the top of the dough.
- To make the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt. One at a time, add the eggs, beating until well mixed. Stir in the vanilla and corn syrup, then mix in the flour. Dollop this mixture over the pear covered dough.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center is slightly set but still jiggly. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and toasted almonds to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.