Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple and foolproof recipe from Gourmet Magazine (May 1995) makes a light and flaky crust every time. Makes enough dough for one pie crust. This dough can be used to prepare the Tomato and Onion Tart (Gourmet Magazine).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt and with a pastry blender or fingertips blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork to incorporate, until mixture begins to form a dough.
- On a work surface smear dough in 3 or 4 forward motions with heel of hand to slightly develop gluten in flour and make dough easier to work with. Form dough into a ball and flatten to form a disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. Pastry dough may be made 1 week ahead and chilled.