Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Taken from an early 1970's school cookbook. Very tasty, with ingredients that are about always around (except maybe the Butter Nut Vanilla).
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, large
- 3 cups flour
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla, Butter Nut Flavored
- Cream together margarine, shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add 1/2 of flour, the milk (with enough water added to make 1 cup), then the rest of the flour.
- Fold in the vanilla.
- Pour in greased tube pan, and bake 1 hour 45 minutes, at 325°F, starting from a COLD oven.
- Do not open the oven door during baking.
- Remove from pan immediately.