Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
My mom made this cake for my brother every year for his birthday when we were growing up. It is a very comforting, old-fashioned and delicious cake.
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 1⁄3 fluid ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter pecan flavoring (we use Superior brand imitation vanilla, butter and nut flavoring)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter pecan flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- For the cake:.
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a greased, floured angel food cake pan or a greased bundt pan.
- Place in COLD oven and turn heat to 325 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting: ****.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add box of powdered sugar and beat well.
- Add butter & nut flavoring and blend.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Spread on top of cake and let come down the sides.
- My mother always put the full batch of frosting on the cake. My aunt's recipe says to make 1/2 the frosting recipe for the cake. It is a personal preference. If you like alot of frosting; make the entire batch. If you don't like too much frosting cut the frosting recipe in half.