Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This simple recipe (with a few of my own embellishments) is printed on the side label of a bottle of Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar from Trader Joes. I think a scattering of toasted pepitas would be extra nice. Posting the recipe for all those JoeHeads out there...you know who you are!
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 cup jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented (I used Valencia)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons orange muscat champagne vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (add more if you want-I like my vinaigrette on the lighter side usually)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard (my addition for a bit more zing)
- fresh apple mint leaf (or pineapple)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas (optional)
- Please note that all ingredient amounts are estimated.
- Prepare the vinaigrette and set aside. Best prepared 1 hour in advance.
- Gently toss the butter lettuce, avocado, jicama, orange segments, red onion and vinaigrette together in a large bowl.
- Divide and arrange on 4 salad plates.
- Garnish each serving with apple mint leaves and pepitas.
- Pass the dressing.
I'm a big fan of this vinegar, sweet but not too sweet, tangy but not too tangy. Adding a touch of mustard is perfect. I didn't have an avocado, but can see that would have been great additionm and I used a large radish instead of jicama. Any salad would benefit from this super quick and tasty dressing.