Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A quick and easy salad recipe that is great any time of the year. The croutons can be made ahead. The recipe is originally from Sunset magazine.
- 1⁄2 lb sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄4 lbs butter lettuce, rinsed and crisped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into 3/4-inch cubes. In a 10- by 15-inch baking pan, mix bread with 3 tablespoons oil, half of the garlic, and cheese.
- Bake in a 375° oven until bread is golden, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Cut bacon into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Stir bacon often in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Lift out bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a food processor or blender, whirl remaining garlic, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar, and mustard, and with motor running, pour in remaining 1/2 cup oil.
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces and place in a wide serving bowl.
- Add croutons, bacon, and garlic dressing. Mix to coat greens. Add salt and pepper to taste.