Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from "Simply Bishop's: Easy Seasonal Recipes," by John Bishop and Dennis Green.
Make and share this Butter Lettuce With Creamy Citrus Dressing and Garlic Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
- parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish)
- Cut the lettuce into quarters, making sure the leaves stay attached at the bottom and form a wedge; wash lettuce well and spin dry.
- Return lettuce to refrigerator to chill, at least 20 minutes.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, white wine vinegar, and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add butter, oil, garlic, and cook about 1 minute; add bread slices and cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Blot toast on paper towels and cover to keep warm.
- Place lettuce wedges in a bowl and toss with dressing.
- To serve, place a warm garlic toast on a serving plate, top with a lettuce wedge; garnish with chopped chives and Parmesan cheese.