Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad can be made in advance to save time by assembling the greens and making the vinaigrette. Refrigerate them separately for up to several hours and combine just before serving. Adapted from a website that specializes in making life simpler.
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced
- 3 heads butter lettuce or 3 heads boston lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, torn into pieces
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pecorino romano cheese, shaved (optional)
- In a large bowl add the fennel, lettuce, tarragon and scallion. Set aside.
- Add lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together.
- While whisking constantly, slowly add the oil. When well combined pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. Top with the Pecorino if desired and serve immediately.
Not necessarily colorful but packed full of nutrients and flavor! I replaced some of the butter lettuce with fresh organic arugula and replaced the green onions with garlic whistles/scapes. The salad was served with Recipe #29448 and Recipe #302136 for a very tasty meal! Reviewed for ZWT 2009.
Lovely combination of flavours. I had to use dried tarragon, couldn't find any fresh around. DH wasn't fond of it and we both found the dressing to be very sharp. I felt it was a nice change but not something I would make again unless I used a different dressing, I did like the salad itself.
The delicate flavors of the fennel and tarragon pair brilliantly with the dressing and shaved pecorino. We also loved the crunch of the fennel with the velvety texture of the butter lettuce. This simple salad paired wonderfully with the Recipe #117892. Made for Summer Salad and Berry Recipe Challenge.