1/1 Photo of Butter Kuchen
2 hrs 15 mins
Chef # 8654321's Note:
For those who aren't familiar with butter kuchens yes, the filling is suppose to be runny. That's what makes it gooood. There are other butter kuchens out there that have firmer fillings but this is a spoon kuchen or a sopping kuchen. You're suppose to cut a piece of it and then dip it in the goo that's in the bottom of the pan. If you want a firmer filling then simply add another egg to the filling and omit the water. I think it makes it taste too eggy though when you do that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups flour
- 1Dough directions:.
- 2Heat milk until lukewarm.
- 3Stir in the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- 4Mix in the sugar, butter, salt, and egg.
- 5Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour.
- 6The dough should be very soft and wet.
- 7If dough is too much like a batter then add in the extra flour. You want the dough to be soft and sticky though.
- 8Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise for about an hour.
- 9With floured hands, press dough into the bottom of an 8" cake pan making the edge slightly higher than the center.
- 10Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare the butter topping.
- 12Combine all the ingredients in the butter topping and mix well.
- 13Press the risen kuchen down slightly in the center so it will hold the butter topping.
- 14Pour the butter topping on top of the kuchen.
- 15Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes.
- 16Let cool completely before cutting.
- 17The filling will still be runny and sometimes it will run all the way through to the bottom of the pan. It'll still taste good though.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Kuchen
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.7
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 86.0 mg
- Sodium 295.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g