Recipe by Nikki Kate
I use this frosting all the time and was very suprised when I couldn't find it here!!!
- 1⁄3 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- additional milk, if needed
- food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Slowly beat in 1/4 cup milk and the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar beating until combined.
- If necessary, beat in a little additional milk to make frosting that is easy to spread.
- Tint with food coloring as desired, or use as a base for any of the variations.
- Transfer unused frosting to a storage container and chill for up to one week.
- Peanut Butter Crunch: Substitute creamy peanut butter for the butter. Sprinkle chopped candy-coated peanut butter pieces or chopped peanuts over frosting.
- Maraschino Cherry: Substitute 3 Tablespoons maraschino juice for the milk, add 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries with the cherry juice.
- Vanilla Polka Dot: Stir 2 to 3 Tablespoons candy sprinkles in the Butter Frosting before serving.
- Mini Mint Chip: Add 1/4 teaspoon mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring with the milk. Stir in 1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate pieces before using.
- Chocolate Butter Frosting: Reduce powdered sugar to 4 cups and add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder along with the first 2 cups powdered sugar. If desired, top with chocolate curls.