Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a quick little fixin that everyone seems to enjoy. I do not like dark meat of poultry so I only use the white breast meat and only the part that does not touch or come anywhere near any bones, so you may need to adjust the recipe for your use. My daughter is a very picky eater but she loves this dish. It can also be prepared the day before, put in the fridge and then reheated in the oven. I hope you enjoy it.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed,cleaned that have been washed and patted dry with a paper towel
- 3 tablespoons country crock butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning (do not substitute brands)
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) packagevelveeta macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 cup finely shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup california-blend frozen vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillent on medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Cut breast filets into 1" to 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place into skillet.
- Add salt and Montreal seasoning.
- Cook over medium-low heat until done, about 15 minute Place cooked chicken chunks on paper towel to drain.
- Set aside.
- Prepare mac and cheese according to box directions.
- When the cheese has melted, add the California blend vegetable mix.
- Gently stirring to coat vegetables with cheese.
- Place into a lightly sprayed baking dish 13" x 9" works well.
- Place cooked/seasoned chicken chunks onto the top of the mac and cheese/vegetable mix.
- Gently push the chunks into the mac and cheese.
- Lightly sprinkle a layer of the shredded cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 20-25 minute at 350 degrees.
- Remove covering and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes about 12 1 cup servings.
- Variation: Instead of mac and cheese, use 2 cups of cooked white rice (prepared in chicken broth instead of water) with 2 cups chunked Velveeta cheese.
- Place vegetables in rice/cheese mixture and stir to coat with cheese.
- Layer in bottom of baking dish and add fried chicken chunks to top layer.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake 20-25 minute Remove covering and bake additional 10 minute or until lightly browned.