Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
---Tender juicy roast chicken and Lentil Rice Stuffing with white potatoes and carrots. One dish Dinner. ------
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, crescent sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium white potatoes, washed and cut in half lengthwise (peel if you wish)
- 4 medium carrots, scrapped and cut into 2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees.
- Rinse chicken inside and out; dry with paper towel.
- With kitchen scissor cut out backbone of the chicken and discard, butterfly chicken; sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place paper towel over chicken and pound all over as much as possible to equal thickness; set aside.
- Combine Lentils and rice in a saucepan, cover with 1 cup water, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until all water is absorbed; set aside.
- Combine in a bowl, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin and cayenne.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a non stick fry pan, add onion mixture, sauté until onion is soft being careful not to burn the garlic; add to lentil/rice mixture, stir in the parsley and mix to combine; place mixture in the middle of a shallow roaster.
- Lay the butter flied chicken over the stuffing so that the stuffing is more or less in the middle part of the chicken.
- Rub the butter all over the chicken skin, cover the entire surface.
- Place cut potatoes and carrots in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, stir to coat; place potatoes and carrots around the chicken in the roaster.
- Roast uncovered at 400f degrees for 1 hour or until juices of chicken run clear and potatoes are fork tender.
This was very tender, juicy chicken, I had to omit the cayenne pepper for my 2 year old. The lentil and rice stuffing was well received. I did get my butcher to butterfly the chicken though. c