Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty make-ahead topping for coffee cakes, muffins, quick breads or mix it with ice cream and serve with butterscotch sauce. Sprinkle one cup over apple or other fruit crisp filling before baking. My favorite version is with pecans or a combination of nuts and coconut. Originally from a 1971 Betty Crocker recipe card.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped or 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
- Spread ingredients in baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, stir with spoon.
- Store in a covered container in refrigerator.
Today I was making a banana bread so I sprinkled 1/3 of this recipe on top of the loaf prior to baking, and then baked it as normal. It came out beautifully! I was planning to store the remainder in a ziploc bag in the freezer, for the next loaf I make, but changed my mind and baked it as per the instructions, making a crunchy struesel topping for ice cream. So decadent!!! Next time, I'll add 1 tsp of cinnamon and some fresh ground nutmeg. This one is a real keeper! Made for PRMR Tag.