Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A candy like cookie.Easy to prepare.Great on a cookie platter
- 40 -50 unsalted saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Grease a 12 by 17 inch cookie sheet with sides with crisco.
- Place saltines,face side up on cookie sheet,making them fit snugly,without overlapping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan,combine butter,and brown sugar.
- Once melted, simmer 3 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat,stir in vanilla and pour over saltines,spreading evenly.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven,fix crackers and press down slightly.
- Pour chips over top,and once they are melted,spread chocolate evenly and sprinkle with nuts.
- Then, with a sharp knife,score surface into saltine-sized squares.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into squares.
- Makes 40 to 50 cookies.
Fabulous & Simple Recipe !!! My entire office of 30 employees absolutely loved this treat. I whipped it up last night, extremely quick and easy and it looked beautiful with the broken pieces arranged on a large platter. Of course everyone raved and wanted to know what the ingredients were. I passed the recipe around and introduced my office to recipezaar. Removing the slab of Toffee Candy from the cookie tray was VERY EASY. I just allowed the tray to cool to the touch, then I slipped the tray into the freezer until the toffee was cold enough to completely loosen when I twisted the tray slightly (approx. 10 or 15 min.), then I slipped the slab of cold candy out with a fork. It all came out in one large piece. I didn’t grease the tray at all and removal was still a snap. Tip: Do not leave the tray in the freezer for an extended time or condensation will built up and dampen the candy. Next time I am going to use graham crackers rather than saltines, I’ve heard this is excellent as well.