Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This cake is very good and very rich. You have a choice of three different fillings and two different sponge mixtures ( Butter Cream-Filled Cake and Mocca Butter Cream Filling ). The recipe is from Dr Oetkers German Home Baking Added June 29, 2008 NOTE: If you convert the measurements to ounces the amounts are by weight, not volume. I've edited the recipe to add measurements by volume (cups)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 -3 tablespoons warm water (If using large eggs take the smaller amount of water and if using small eggs use the larger amount o)
- 150 g sugar
- 1 (9 g) packetoetker vanilla sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Chocolate Butter Cream Filling
- 1 (43 g) packetchocolate Oetker pudding powder (or 43 g vanilla flavour pudding powder plus 2 tbsp cocoa)
- 100 g sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
For the sides
- chocolate vermicelli
- Sponge Mixture.
- Whisk egg yolks with the water until frothy.
- Add 2/3 of the sugar and the vanillin sugar, a bit at a time.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff enough to show and retain the cut of a knife.
- Gradually whisk in the rest of the sugar.
- fill the egg white snow onto the whisked egg yolk mixture.
- Mix together the flour, corn starch, cocoa and the baking powder.
- Sieve onto the egg whites.
- Fold all the ingredients gently together (do not stir or beat).
- Line the bottom of a 10" (26 cm) round baking tin with a removable rim with baking paper and fill with the sponge mixture.
- Bake immediately in a moderately hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Chocolate Butter Cream Filling:.
- Blend the pudding powder and sugar with 6 tbsp of the milk.
- Bring the rest of the milk to a boil.
- remove from heat and slowly stir in the blended pudding powder.
- Stir the pudding occasionally while it is cooling down.
- Cream the butter and beat int the cooled pudding one tbsp at a time (the butter and pudding shouldn't be too cool otherwise the cream may curdle).
- Cut the cake through twice horizontally.
- Spread the bottom layer 1/4 of the butter cream filling.
- Lay the 2nd layer over the filling, spread with a little less than half of the remaining cream and lay the top layer over it.
- Coat the sides and top surface thinly and evenly with a little of the remaining cream and sprinkle the sides with the chocolate vermicelli .
- Pipe the rest of the cream decoratively over the top.