Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This cake is very good and very rich. You have a choice of three different fillings and two different sponge mixtures (recipes posted separately). Please refer to Butter Cream-Filled Cake(sponge #2) Butter Cream-Filled Cake With Chocolate Butter Cream Filling and Mocca Butter Filling Mocca Butter Cream Filling The recipe is from Dr Oetkers German Home Baking
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 -4 tablespoons warm water (If using large eggs take the smaller amount of water and if using small eggs use the larger amount o)
- 150 g sugar
- 9 g oetker vanilla sugar (1 packet)
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
Butter Cream Filling
- 43 g Oetker pudding powder, vanilla flavour (1 packet, or 43 g almonds, flavour (1 packet) or 43 g cream or 43 g caramels or 43 g lemons, flavour (1 packet)
- 100 g sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk (570 ccm of milk is almost 2 1/2 U.S. cups)
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons jam
For the sides
- 2 -3 almonds (a few, blanched and finely sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sponge Mixture.
- Whisk egg yolks with the water until frothy.
- Add 2/3 of the sugar and the vanilla sugar, a bit at a time.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff enough to show and retain the cut of a knife.
- Gradually whisk in the rest of the sugar.
- fill the egg white snow onto the whisked egg yolk mixture.
- Mix together the flour, corn starch and the baking powder.
- Sieve onto the egg whites.
- Fold all the ingredients gently together (do not stir or beat).
- Line the bottom of a 10" (26 cm) round baking tin with a removable rim with baking paper and fill with the sponge mixture.
- Bake immediately in a moderately hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- A moderately hot oven is 340 to 390 F or 170 to 200°C.
- Butter Cream Filling:.
- Blend the pudding powder and sugar with 6 tbsp of the milk.
- Bring the rest of the milk to a boil.
- remove from heat and slowly stir in the blended pudding powder.
- Stir the pudding occasionally while it is cooling down.
- Cream the butter and beat int the cooled pudding one tbsp at a time (the butter and pudding shouldn't be too cool otherwise the cream may curdle).
- Cut the cake through twice horizontally.
- Spread the bottom layer with either a thin layer of jame and then 1/4 of the butter cream filling.
- Lay the 2nd layer over the filling, spread with a little less than half of the remaining cream and lay the top layer over it.
- Coat the sides and top surface thinly and evenly with a little of the remaining cream and sprinkle the sided with almonds .
- Pipe the rest of the cream decoratively over the top.