1 hr 20 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This cake is very good and very rich. You have a choice of three different fillings and two different sponge mixtures (recipes posted separately). Please refer to Butter Cream-Filled Cake(sponge #2) Butter Cream-Filled Cake With Chocolate Butter Cream Filling and Mocca Butter Filling Mocca Butter Cream Filling The recipe is from Dr Oetkers German Home Baking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 -4 tablespoons warm water (If using large eggs take the smaller amount of water and if using small eggs use the larger amount o)
- 150 g sugar
- 9 g oetker vanilla sugar (1 packet)
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
Butter Cream Filling
- 43 g Oetker pudding powder, vanilla flavour (1 packet, or 43 g almonds, flavour (1 packet) or 43 g cream or 43 g caramels or 43 g lemons, flavour (1 packet)
- 100 g sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk (570 ccm of milk is almost 2 1/2 U.S. cups)
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons jam
For the sides
- 2 -3 almonds (a few, blanched and finely sliced)
- 1Sponge Mixture.
- 2Whisk egg yolks with the water until frothy.
- 3Add 2/3 of the sugar and the vanilla sugar, a bit at a time.
- 4Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff enough to show and retain the cut of a knife.
- 6Gradually whisk in the rest of the sugar.
- 7fill the egg white snow onto the whisked egg yolk mixture.
- 8Mix together the flour, corn starch and the baking powder.
- 9Sieve onto the egg whites.
- 10Fold all the ingredients gently together (do not stir or beat).
- 11Line the bottom of a 10" (26 cm) round baking tin with a removable rim with baking paper and fill with the sponge mixture.
- 12Bake immediately in a moderately hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 13A moderately hot oven is 340 to 390 F or 170 to 200°C.
- 14Butter Cream Filling:.
- 15Blend the pudding powder and sugar with 6 tbsp of the milk.
- 16Bring the rest of the milk to a boil.
- 17remove from heat and slowly stir in the blended pudding powder.
- 18Stir the pudding occasionally while it is cooling down.
- 19Cream the butter and beat int the cooled pudding one tbsp at a time (the butter and pudding shouldn't be too cool otherwise the cream may curdle).
- 20Cut the cake through twice horizontally.
- 21Spread the bottom layer with either a thin layer of jame and then 1/4 of the butter cream filling.
- 22Lay the 2nd layer over the filling, spread with a little less than half of the remaining cream and lay the top layer over it.
- 23Coat the sides and top surface thinly and evenly with a little of the remaining cream and sprinkle the sided with almonds .
- 24Pipe the rest of the cream decoratively over the top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Cream-Filled Cake
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.1
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 282.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Oetker pudding powder