Recipe by Chef*Lee
I made this up because I always have leftover buttermilk from baking. I thought it was a new, lower fat twist on creamed spinach. Everyone that eats it thinks there is cheese in it until I tell them what the ingredients are. Please use fresh spinach, frozen is too watery. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by tara portee
I love spinach and I loved that I could also use up some left over butter milk. I did use frozen spinach that I defrosted and squeezed the extra liquid out of. I also added a teaspoon of sugar to cut the buttermilk. If I had some leftover buttermilk I would make this again.
- 1 (9 ounce) bagfresh Baby Spinach
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and easy chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour (I like to use whole wheat)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, and roasted red peppers then saute for 3 minutes on med.-hi heat.
- Add the buttermilk and stir very well.
- Keep sauteeing on med.-hi heat for 1 more minute.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Add spinach and cover skillet with a lid until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Remove lid and stir well to coat.
- Stir for about 1 minute more then serve!