Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the most delicious Indian dish I have made at home yet. This is basically the vegetarian version of butter chicken, only even better! It's so flavorful, very simple, and tastes surprisingly authentic! I found it on Allrecipes.com, where it was posted by Sushi0306. It's great served over rice.
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.
- Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in soup, cream, and chickpeas. Stir in potatoes. Simmer 5 minutes.
Really enjoyed this - mild and creamy - although I did find the chickpeas needed longer than 5 minutes to cook!
Easy enough and really very delicious. The flavors are excellent and remind me a lot of Japanese style curry, though not as much of the buttery flavor of Indian style butter chicken curry. I love both flavors, and will definitely make this one again. Thank you for sharing!