Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I developed this recipe from Butter Chicken (also called Chicken Makhani) recipes in order to make a vegetarian version with Cauliflower, but this sauce works just as well with the traditional meat base. You can control the spiciness level depending on what type of hot red chili powder you add; certainly feel free to add more than 1 teaspoon if you like a lot of heat, but mix it in with some sweet paprika (or use only paprika) if you like it mild.
- 78.07 ml unsalted cashews
- 28.34 g butter
- 453.59 g chicken, cubed or 453.59 g cauliflower floret
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4.92 ml minced garlic clove
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cayenne pepper or 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml sour cream or 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- extra water, as needed
- Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add cashews and roast slowly until golden; lower heat if necessary to keep from burning.
- Add cauliflower, onion, garlic and peppers and sauté in the cashew butter mixture a few minutes.
- Add ginger, spices, tomato paste and tomato sauce to the pan, along with some water. .
- Simmer covered until chicken or cauliflower reaches desired doneness. If sauce gets too thick, add more water.
- Add the cream and heat through.
- Serve over rice or with bread.
We made the cauliflower version of this dish and thought it was very good. We made it in the dutch oven. We used chili powder versus paprika and felt the dish had a nice amount of spiciness to it. We served over basmati rice and with garlic naan from Trader Joe's. Thanks for an enjoyable dinner.