1/1 Photo of Butter Chicken (Or Cauliflower) With Cashews
1 hr 15 mins
I developed this recipe from Butter Chicken (also called Chicken Makhani) recipes in order to make a vegetarian version with Cauliflower, but this sauce works just as well with the traditional meat base. You can control the spiciness level depending on what type of hot red chili powder you add; certainly feel free to add more than 1 teaspoon if you like a lot of heat, but mix it in with some sweet paprika (or use only paprika) if you like it mild.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 lb chicken, cubed or 1 lb cauliflower floret
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- extra water, as needed
- 1Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- 2Add cashews and roast slowly until golden; lower heat if necessary to keep from burning.
- 3Add cauliflower, onion, garlic and peppers and sauté in the cashew butter mixture a few minutes.
- 4Add ginger, spices, tomato paste and tomato sauce to the pan, along with some water. .
- 5Simmer covered until chicken or cauliflower reaches desired doneness. If sauce gets too thick, add more water.
- 6Add the cream and heat through.
- 7Serve over rice or with bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Chicken (Or Cauliflower) With Cashews
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.9
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 130.1 mg
- Sodium 818.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 27.5 g