Recipe by L DJ
When my favorite and only local Indian Restaurant increased their prices, reduced the size of the servings and amount of meat, then started charging separately for the rice, I decided to try to make it myself. Not getting it quite right, something was missing. There was a light nutty taste to the restaurant's sauce, Peanut butter! Nope! Then I saw a jar of cashew butter thought ah hah, Nope. The texture wasn't just right, then I had a light bulb moment, ground roasted cashews. SUCCESS! Time to make is only approx.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (skinned and cubed)
- 8 ounces yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 serrano pepper, minced (these are HOT)
- 14 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews, ground
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Strain yogurt in muslin cloth 15 minute to drain off whey.
- Put chicken in gallon size zip lock bag.
- Combine the 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 Tbl. curry powder and 1/4 teaspoons salt, add to chicken in bag and squish around to distribute seasonings, Set aside.
- Prepare marinade:.
- Mix chili powder, salt, garlic, ginger paste, lemon juice and garam masala, combine with yogurt.
- Add to chicken in the bag, squish around to distribute marinade, seal bag and Chill at least 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 450'.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on baking pan, discard marinade.
- Bake 10-15 minute, turning occasionally, til cooked thoroughly.
- Makhani sauce:.
- Heat butter on med. in large non stick skillet, add garam masala, wait till it crackles. Add ginger paste, garlic and minced serrano pepper. Cook 2 minute, add tomato puree, chili powder, coriander, salt, and water bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 minute Add honey, fenugreek leaves and ground cashews, cook 5 minute.
- Add chicken and cream. Simmer til heated through. Serve over jasmine rice.