Recipe by Brian Holley
This is a rich dish with a medium hot taste, a good way to introduce curry to those who don't normally eat curry. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and finished in cream. Made the day before eating it is easy to remove the excess fat. Simple to cook, this is my wifes favorite curry.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
This recipe is sensational. I made it as written (using dry red chilis) and think it outshines any restaurant version of butter chicken I tried. Do make it ahead to give the flavours time to develop. Thanks for a real keeper!
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2-inch long broken up
- 10 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 10 red chili peppers
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 8 ounces butter
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 5 fluid ounces single cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind together the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, chillies and peppercorns.
- Mix the spices into the yogurt, add the juice of the lemon blend well.
- Marinate the chicken in this mix for about two hours.
- Crush the garlic and ginger to a pulp with the salt, this can be done with the blade of a knife.
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok and fry the ginger and garlic pulp for 1 minute. Add the chicken and spices and cook for ten minutes.
- Add then tomato puree and tinned tomatoes, and butter, bring to the boil reduce the heat and simmer till the chicken is cooked.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and curried pineapple.