Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a rich dish with a medium hot taste, a good way to introduce curry to those who don't normally eat curry. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and finished in cream. Made the day before eating it is easy to remove the excess fat. Simple to cook, this is my wifes favorite curry.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2-inch long broken up
- 10 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 10 red chili peppers
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 8 ounces butter
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 5 fluid ounces single cream
- Grind together the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, chillies and peppercorns.
- Mix the spices into the yogurt, add the juice of the lemon blend well.
- Marinate the chicken in this mix for about two hours.
- Crush the garlic and ginger to a pulp with the salt, this can be done with the blade of a knife.
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok and fry the ginger and garlic pulp for 1 minute. Add the chicken and spices and cook for ten minutes.
- Add then tomato puree and tinned tomatoes, and butter, bring to the boil reduce the heat and simmer till the chicken is cooked.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and curried pineapple.
This recipe is sensational. I made it as written (using dry red chilis) and think it outshines any restaurant version of butter chicken I tried. Do make it ahead to give the flavours time to develop. Thanks for a real keeper!
Very tasty, we did wonder at the 10 red chili peppers.. seems like an awful lot so we used two and it was firery enough for our tastes. in step one I tried hard to grind the spices as dircted with my blender but ended up with woody bits of cardamom and cinnamon stick which I didn't think would go well at all once mixed in with the yogurt, so I started again using ground cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and then added chopped chili peppers and 5 whole cardamoms and I think that worked better for us. For the rest I followed the recipe and the taste was great. Please see my Rating System: 4 wonderful stars for a recipe that I will certainly be making again. Thanks!
I didn't find this hot at all not even medium. The taste is good, but personally I prefer another recipe I have for butter chicken, I find it more creamier. I thought I would try this one and see how it went..The flavor was pretty good though. Followed the recipe exactly as written. If I try this again I would add alot more peppers or chili powder.