Recipe by melsmom
this recipe is from the food section of the ottawa citizen newspaper, it is from a popular indian restaurant in ottawa, ontario. this is very high in cholesterol but we just have to have this at least twice a year. i love indian food and go to a lot of indian restaurants and i have never found a better butter chicken recipe anywhere.
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon indian chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Butter Chicken Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- tandoori chicken: with a sharp knife, make regular slits in chicken.
- rub salt into chicken and put in a large bowl to hold all the pieces in a single layer.
- Combine chili powder, pepper, ginger, garlic and paprika in a bowl, add yogurt and lemon juice and stir to blend.
- Pour over chicken and marinate for 10-12 hours in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade) and put on a wire rack over a pan and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- remove from oven and cut in 1" cubes.
- Butter Chicken: in a saute pan melt butter.
- add reserved marinade and whipping cream and heat thoroughly to a temperature of a least 140F.
- for 2 minutes.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in cubed chicken and heat through.
- serve with basmatti rice.