Recipe by English_Rose
Forget takeaways indulge yourselves with a classic rich curry of chicken marinated in yogurt, cream and spices.
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1in cubes
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 4 ounces egg tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade, adding the chicken. Fold the marinade with the meat until it is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, begin the sauce. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and fry the onions for 7 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and salt, followed by the fenugreek, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Tip in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion mixture becomes quite thick.
- Stir in the butter, then the chicken and marinade, and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Serve the curry hot with naan bread and an onion and green leaf salad.