Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a chicken recipe without all the fat but with all the tomatoey, spicy, creamy taste of butter chicken. The dominant flavours are coriander, cumin, tomatoes, onions and yogourt-based sauce. It's delicious!
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sake (optional)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes with juice or 3 fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (Denmark if possible)
- Cut chicken into small cubes (1 inch) and set aside.
- Slice onions into thin wedges.
- Melt butter until frothy. Add onions and cinnamon and fry lightly until onions are transparent.
- Stir in crushed ginger and garlic.
- Add turmeric, chili and coriander, and sauté over medium heat.
- Add cubed chicken and sauté, stirring constantly until chicken has turned white.
- Pour ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add yogourt and heat through.
- Serve on basmati rice with a salad and indian bread.
- Note: I usually add a tsp of honey and a splash of sake and let it simmer.
Made this last night and we loved it, so creamy and the subtle spicy flavours were delicious. The intro mentions cumin as a dominant flavour but it is not listed in the ingredients, so I added 2 teaspoons cumin at stage 5. I also added the optional honey at stage 7, but no sake. I served it with simple boiled white rice and it was so gorgeous, I'm sure we'll be having this again. Thank you for posting this very special recipe.
I'm vegetarian, but am into substituting. So I made this using extra firm tofu, instead of the chicken. Served it over basmati rice. Everybody thought it was delicious. Thanks.
This was a really lovely, creamy, but still spicy curry. I used the optional honey, but not the Sake as I don't have any. I'll definitely be making this again soon!