1/1 Photo of Butter Chicken
This is a chicken recipe without all the fat but with all the tomatoey, spicy, creamy taste of butter chicken. The dominant flavours are coriander, cumin, tomatoes, onions and yogourt-based sauce. It's delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sake (optional)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1/4-1/2 cup ground almonds
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes with juice or 3 fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (Denmark if possible)
- 1Cut chicken into small cubes (1 inch) and set aside.
- 2Slice onions into thin wedges.
- 3Melt butter until frothy. Add onions and cinnamon and fry lightly until onions are transparent.
- 4Stir in crushed ginger and garlic.
- 5Add turmeric, chili and coriander, and sauté over medium heat.
- 6Add cubed chicken and sauté, stirring constantly until chicken has turned white.
- 7Pour ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 8Mix thoroughly.
- 9Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add yogourt and heat through.
- 10Serve on basmati rice with a salad and indian bread.
- 11Note: I usually add a tsp of honey and a splash of sake and let it simmer.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.3
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 183.7 mg
- Sodium 587.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 54.7 g