Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy and delicious dish, it's so fast to make! An authentic Indian recipe, but without the heat! Feel free to spice it up with chili.
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 onion, diced
- 500 g of cubed chicken or 500 g fish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 yogurt
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 2 garlic cloves
- Add oil to a pan and then add spices, and simmer for a minute.
- Then add onions and garlic as well as the meat, cook till it is sealed and the onions are clear.
- Add the condensed tomato soup and simmer for 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Add the cream or yogurt, simmer for two minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice, or with roti or naan bread.
- You may also add chilli for some heat, as this dish is not hot, or add more garam masala or cumin to taste.
Although it's called "Butter Chicken" don't let it confuse you, it has no butter in the ingredients.
Made it with monkfish. I changed the recipe a bit: added about 5 big garlic cloves along with the onion, 1 tablespoon butter along with the oil, didn't use cream, just the yogurt and 3 big cut up tomatoes instead of the condensed tomato. Next time I might add a bit of white wine...
Had this last night increased chicken to 700 grams (feeding 5) but could have fed 6 (had left overs for lunch today). Added a chilli and as garlic wasn't quantified added 2 cloves crushed. Used cream as I had run out of yoghurt. Would add an extra chilli next time. Had rice steam veg and sauteed spinach recipe #90853. Thanks for a quick simple dish.
this was a really nice dish, top stuff, thumbs up x x x