Recipe by Barry C
Simple, tasty chicken dish.
Top Review by mianbao
We had this Butter Chicken for dinner this evening. I halved the recipe for two diners, but otherwise followed the recipe. I found the flavor rather sweet, with the cinnamon being especially strong. This was somewhat of a surprise. While the dish was fine for one meal, it is a little too "different" for us. Just more proof that tastes vary. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 60 ml tomato paste
- 125 ml plain yogurt
- 80 g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 (425 g) can tomato puree
- 180 ml chicken stock or 180 ml water
- 250 ml cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken pieces into fillets.
- Combine ground spices, ginger, garlic, vinegar, tomato paste and yogurt in a large bowl, add chicken, coat with marinade; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat butter in a large pan, add onion, cinnamon and cardamom; cook stirring, until onion is browned lightly.
- Add chicken mixture; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, paprika, tomato puree and stock; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream; simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.