Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These were a favorite of my DS and DD when they were kids. It is from a cookbook I bought in 1958. You can make the bottom layer thicker by 1 1/2 to double the ingredients but allow a little longer cook time.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter; add sugar and blend with flour.
- Pat in bottom of 8x12 inch greased pan.
- Bake 15 minutes at 375Degrees.
- Add brown sugar to beaten egg yolk.
- Add nuts and coconut.
- Stir in stiffly beatenegg whites and spread over first mixture.
- Return to oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners.
- Cut into desired shape.
These are soooo yummy! The base is like a shortbread and the top layer is very sugary and crunchy. I liked these best straight out of the oven because then the topping is a bit runny and it's definitely better to cut them while still warm because they harden as they cool down. The only thing I'd say is that if you don't have a real sweet tooth you might want to make the shortbread base thicker and the topping thinner. I found the sugary topping a bit overwhelming for my tastes but my husband, who is always into ultra-sweet treats like fudge and cotton candy, loved them.
Yummy and oh so crisp and buttery! these are wonderful cookies Dorel! I did let them cool before cutting them, then cut them into very small squares, my guests gobbled all of them up after dinner with coffee, my son even asked me to make a batch for him! these are wonderful! thank you Dorel!...Kitten:)