1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Delicious buttery cake with a coice of topping options. Nice with a good cup of coffee.
My Private Note
9x13 in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1Sprinkle the yeast over warm water.
- 2Heat milk, sugar, salt and the 1/2 cup butter together until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.
- 3Cool to lukewarm.
- 4Add dissolved yeast.
- 5Place the flour blended with lemon rind in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center.
- 6Add yeast-milk mixture and the eggs.
- 7Stir until smooth.
- 8Pour into a buttered 9x13-inch baking pan, spreading dough evenly.
- 9Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- 10Chop the butter into the mixed sugar and cinnamon to form fine particles.
- 11Sprinkle over top of risen batter.
- 12Add the almonds.
- 13Bake in hot oven (375° F) for 30 minutes, or until top is golden and syrupy.
- 14Variations: Streuselkuchen: This is much the same as Butterkuchen (Butter Cake) except that the lemon rind is omitted from the butter and a crumb topping of 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup ground almonds and 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter are sprinkled over batter.
- 15If desired, 1/4 tsp cinnamon may also be added to the topping mixture.
- 16Apfelbutterkuchen: (a German specialty).
- 17Prepare dough as for Butterkuchen, place sliced peeled apples over top of dough before placing in oven.
- 18Cover apples with same Butter Topping.
- 19Almonds are an optional addition.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Cake(With Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (1543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5265.3
- Calories from Fat 2120
- Total Fat 235.5 g
- Saturated Fat 128.1 g
- Cholesterol 1148.1 mg
- Sodium 2945.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 706.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.5 g
- Sugars 304.6 g
- Protein 94.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: