Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Delicious buttery cake with a coice of topping options. Nice with a good cup of coffee.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, blanched, chopped
- Sprinkle the yeast over warm water.
- Heat milk, sugar, salt and the 1/2 cup butter together until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add dissolved yeast.
- Place the flour blended with lemon rind in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center.
- Add yeast-milk mixture and the eggs.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour into a buttered 9x13-inch baking pan, spreading dough evenly.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Chop the butter into the mixed sugar and cinnamon to form fine particles.
- Sprinkle over top of risen batter.
- Add the almonds.
- Bake in hot oven (375° F) for 30 minutes, or until top is golden and syrupy.
- Variations: Streuselkuchen: This is much the same as Butterkuchen (Butter Cake) except that the lemon rind is omitted from the butter and a crumb topping of 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup ground almonds and 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter are sprinkled over batter.
- If desired, 1/4 tsp cinnamon may also be added to the topping mixture.
- Apfelbutterkuchen: (a German specialty).
- Prepare dough as for Butterkuchen, place sliced peeled apples over top of dough before placing in oven.
- Cover apples with same Butter Topping.
- Almonds are an optional addition.