Recipe by Mary Close
My mom used to make this for my brothers' birthday cake every year. I don't know where she got the recipe, she just bought the ingredients and made the cake. I make it for my husbands' birthday now. There are so many ways to tweak this, such as adding coconut or well drained chopped mandarin oranges, but this is our favorite.
Top Review by tinnu17
Loved the pineapple frosting... light, creamy, not too sweet, and loads of pineapple flavor. I used fresh pineapple that I pureed in the blender. The frosting was absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing:-)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packagegolden butter recipe cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Let pineapple drain about 2 hours before baking.
- According to the cake mix, have 1 stick of butter and 3 large eggs at room temperature.
- Place a medium bowl and the beaters of an electric blender in the freezer.
- Bake cake in any size pan you wish.
- When cake is done, and cooled, add whipping cream and powdered sugar (more or less according to your taste) to the bowl that was in the freezer.
- Use the cold beaters to whip the cream until set. (about 4 minutes?)
- Blend in pineapple.
- Cream should be thick enough to stay on the blenders when you lift them out.
- Frost cake.