Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from Butter Buds.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Butter Buds, mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- Wash and drain lentils.
- Add to medium-size saucepan with water, bay leaves, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook, covered, until very tender, about 30 minutes; drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Transfer lentils to large mixing bowl.
- Add carrots, onion, green pepper, parsley, and almonds.
- Blend thoroughly.
- In separate bowl combine egg, lemon juice, Butter Buds, reserved lentil liquid, and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Add to lentil mixture.
- Blend in tomato paste and breadcrumbs.
- Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Form into 6-inch loaf and place in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, covered, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.