Recipe by PiceSeasGirl
This is a recipe for a well known bread from the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company in Squamish, BC Canada. It was published in a newspaper years ago, and I held on to it. Good thing, as no longer live there but I can still enjoy the bread.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast, Also Known as Debittered Brewers Yeast (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, Coarsely Grated & Divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, Melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, brewer’s yeast (optional) and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in ale; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Remove 1/3 cup of the cheese and set aside.
- Stir remaining cheese into batter.
- Spoon batter into greased 8 ½ X 4 ½-inch loaf pan.
- Pour butter over top.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 – 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese over bread and bake an additional 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove bread from oven and let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from bread pan and place bread on the rack to cool completely.