Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Inspired by an omelette brunch special offered offer by Johnny D's in Davis Sq, Cambridge, MA. The ingredients sounded awesome, I just wasn't so sure about them being in an omelette, so wrote down the ingredients and tried making a salad out of them. Turned out well! Restaurant actually used white beans, not butter beans, but 1) couldn't find white beans at the market the day I made this, and 2) I *love* butter beans. But use whatever you like best!
- Heat oil or butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut ends off onion, then slice in half. Then slice into thin strips. Add to pan and cook on medium-high for about 10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes or so.
- Turn heat down to low / medium-low, sprinkle onions with salt and sautee onions for about 30 minutes, shorter or longer as needed so the onions are a warm, golden-brown color; not under-cooked but not burnt. Stir onions every 5 minutes or so. Add brown sugar toward the end only if you feel onions are not sweet enough for you.
- While onions are caramelizing, rinse and plate arugula. Crumble goat cheese and sprinkle over arugula.
- Rinse beans, then divide evenly among the plates.
- Once onions are caramelized, add them on top of the salad.
- Shred mozzerella over the salads (or sprinkle pre-shredded cheese).
- Makes 2 dinner salads or 4 side salads.