Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This large scaled recipe can be easily halved. Frozen limas can be used instead of canned.
- 3 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken base (not boullion...too salty)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 (15 ounce) cans butter beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules (I prefer a few minced cloves of fresh garlic)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add base, bay leaves and beans.
- Reduce heat, and simmer.
- In a skillet or sauté pan, heat oil until shimmery, and add diced onion, celery and carrot, and cook until soft, 10 minutes or so.
- Add diced ham to the pan and sauté until ham begins to brown.
- Add garlic, salt, thyme and parsley to pan, and continue to cook about 10 minutes.
- Scrape contents of pan into the stockpot with the soup and beans.
- Continue to simmer about 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.