Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a recipe from Lesley Waters 'Simple Ways to Success - Healthy' cookbook. This is a really creamy houmous and the butter beans add extra protein. I use Bekah's Homemade Tahini #73859 to make it and sometimes I add a little sambal oelek for some extra spicyness. It great served with a variety of fresh vegetables and pita crisps for dipping. Or you could try one of my favourites: a fresh bagel with houmous, rocket and roasted aubergine. Yum!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (not in original recipe) (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a food processor, apart from salt and pepper, and blend until just about smooth.
- Alternatively you can put them in a mixing bowl and use a stick blender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
a really creamy, light, delicately flavoured houmous - totally perfect & so easy to make. I think it's great as is, but my boyfriend decided to pep it up with a few drops of tabasco sauce. I used 6 tablespoons of water because I like quite a loose houmous.
I have been putting yohurt in my hummus for years preferring it to the large amounts of olive oil some other recipes call for. The dip was light but a little bland before seasoning so don't be tempted to skip it, the samal oelek would make a tasty addition. This made up enough for me to freeze in individual portions so I can take it to work. It is worth mentioning that if you dont have a food processor this takes a lot longer to make. I ended up having to puree the beans half a tin at a time in my magic bullet, then mix in the other ingredients THEN put it back in the bullet to mix it Phew!
I had mistakenly placed a can of butter beans into my shopping cart then wondered what on earth I'd ever do with it. Turned out to be one of those happy accidents because I was given a reason to try this creamy and delicious hummus. I used Homemade Tahini #73859, stopped at 3 tablespoons water, and seasoned using coarse-grind garlic salt with oregano. I served my hummus with toasted wedges of Greek Flatbread #68272. Thank you for a great easy recipe I'll gladly make again and again!